Friday, November 11, 2011

Fall Trend Alert: Sequins, To Wear Or Not To Wear?

A LOT can be said about sequins, but no matter what, you either love them or you hate them. Some people like the jazzed up look, others, not so much. But one thing is for sure and that is that big fashion designer companies like Elizabeth and James, Forever 21 and Lane Bryant, just to name a few, seem big on marketing the sparkly decorated monstrosities that are now being barfed up, shoved down every consumer's throat and sold left, right and center.

Photobucket

My opinion. however, is not to favorable when it comes to this hyped up calamity of the glitzy trashy look. A slouchy hobo shirt she be just this, a comfy slouchy hobo shirt that you can lounge around the house in paired with leggings and some UGGs. Sequins, to me, have no business on a casual look, even if it is labeled the casual chic/ business casual look. Just no. On a tee shirt it just doesn't work for me...or anyone. Do these people think they're in "Flash Dance"?

Photobucket


Now I know that my look on sequined shirts my be bleak, but my outlook on sequins used as an accent, like on the top half of the above pictured dress, is favorable. Sequins in my mind, automatically draw a line to a more dressy, fancier look. To me, they belong more on dresses than on tee shirts.  They even belong more on decorative blouses and cardigans...just not tee-shirts.  It's not the actual sequins that I have a problem with, it's the quantity in which they are used, on what type of garment they are used and where they are placed on said garment. And to show my unbiased opinion, here is a photo of the dress that I purchased over a year ago. As shown, the sequins are used as an black accent on the straps and empire waist belt to the pretty purple of the dress.

On the mannequin

Photobucket

On the Lane Bryant model
Photobucket

IN CLOSING:
Photobucket

Sound off in the comment section below!

xoxo
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment